AIM
Zaron

Lavender Town+*~_0 Lavender Town+*~_0

It's nothing awful, but it's not really working for me. It's too consistently loud to be creepy, and even if it wasn't most of the instrumentation doesn't have any subtlety to it anyway. While the whispering was a decent idea, playing it constantly on the whole second pass of the song and its general volume (as well as sounding like it was recorded in a metal chamber and then amplified considerably) offsets any eerie factor it could have had. In less words, the mastering here is sort of a mess.

The Lavender Town theme itself is eerie, yes, and so long as the melody is intact you're going to have some of that unsetlling factor associated with it, but you don't add all that much to what was already there.

Chronamut responds:

that's because this is the "regular" version - check out the other 2 versions I made.. they have more of the creepy factor :)

thanks for the review!

-shawn-

Flutterwonder [Remix] Flutterwonder [Remix]

Entrancing. Best version of this I've heard since the original.

The piano is a nice addition that blends in with the rest of the track perfectly, and the rest of your changes are fairly subtle but leave enough impact to set this apart and classify it as a true remix while still maintaining most of what made the source material so strong. The synths used blend in wonderfully and work with the beat to make this track entrancing and beautiful.

You say you're new at this? Keep it up! You've got a strong sense for this sort of thing, obviously, and it'll be interesting to see how far you can take it.

Leaves in the Current Leaves in the Current

Well done for the most part, but a little repetitive, and I can't really get over that the most repeated bit is basically Zelda's Lullaby with the last measure or so changed up. The instrumentation is solid, tho, and the only other thing that stood out was one of the brass notes sounded a bit too dissonant.

papkee responds:

Wow, I've never even heard Zelda's lullaby but you're right. That's a bit crazy. Also, that brass note was not there when I wrote it, and like I said before my drivers were so messed up I couldn't even tell.

Cosmic Dolphin Cosmic Dolphin

Upbeat and a lot of fun. c: I don't have a whole lot to say on this one besides that. Keep up the good work!

Great Canyon/Sky Tower Remix Great Canyon/Sky Tower Remix

I need to keep an eye on you more. So far you're the only person I've found who can make a decent song out of a Pokémon remix, for one, and that seems to take absurd talent, but aside from that your takes on the songs are interesting enough that I... really need to look into your other work. I like your style.

Only complaint on this one is the synth gets a bit annoying briefly near the end. The DnB is a bit liquid, which I dig, and the elements all get along really well. The use of panning and some lighlty dub elements to the bass (the latter being very easy to overdo) give the impression of a lot of time and care having been put into this, and it shows. Whether or not it's your first DnB attempt is irrelevant; you do good stuff, and the fact this has a score under 3 actively pisses me off.

Looking forward to what you bring out in the future. :)

Time Machine (T745 New Remix) Time Machine (T745 New Remix)

Decent! It's rather repetitive in the middle, but the atmosphere is really chill compared to the source material, and you do some interesting things with it. Love most of the synth choices, too, as they lend themselves well to where you took things.

Wind Waker - Laruto's Lament Wind Waker - Laruto's Lament

O: <3

I used to think the only other vocalist on Newgrounds who could compete with you was Hania.

I don't think that anymore. You win. You win all the things. <3

VGSongbird responds:

WOW. Thank You :D

**Zelda's Lullaby** **Zelda's Lullaby**

Yup

I still love your voice. *o*

Really not much else to say here. @_@

VGSongbird responds:

^_^
I'm happy to still be pleasing to your ears!

Queen of Chaos Queen of Chaos

Poor Percussion

Not an easy song to recreate, I am well aware, and in terms of getting the notes down you did a good job.

Your instrument balancing is a bit better here, but the percussion sounds completely bland and MIDI. It's really distracting to the overall piece.

I question having a flute take over the epic choir melody from the original, and the strings at the song's climax sound rather dissonant at first (though they're rather nice in their other appearances throughout), like a foul note or two crept in there.

Overall, it needs work. Kudos to you on rebuilding the track, but most of it comes up short.

Shanath responds:

I pretty much agree with all your points. I wanted to keep the amazing choir melody the original one has but I didn't want to use a synthesized one for it and I couldn't get anyone to lend their voice for this.

I want to make a V2 of this one of these days, but that's probably not gonna happen anytime soon. :x

Still, thanks for yet another review. It's helpful when they are as critical as yours. :3

Chaos Angel Chaos Angel

meh

The choir's too loud and overpowers the piano even when it's meant to be the focal point of the song. The mixing of instruments could be solid if it were mastered better, but as is most of the song sounds really muddled.

As a more positive note, the piano melody is arranged really nicely, even if it gets drowned out fairly often. I wish you'd done more with it instead of just a basic cover though.

Shanath responds:

I didn't really notice the choir being that loud, but now that you mention it, it does seem to drown the piano melody quite a bit.

As far as mixing goes, I'm not very good at it yet, but I'll try my best to get better.

Thanks for the in-depth review.