AIM
Zaron

Pixel Snake Pixel Snake

Amusin'

It's a very minor change to the normal Snake formula, but it's just enough to make this one a little unique. You could stand to refine the graphics and the like, obviously, but this isn't at all a bad start.

DevThomas responds:

Thanks ;)

Super Sonic Pinball Super Sonic Pinball

A little basic...

The board was sparse and half the game window's space is taken up by Sonic and Tails just standing there. The bonus boards and single-slot slot machine are nice touches, but don't do much to justify how open and empty the layout is. The collision is largely passable, but the flippers don't seem to hold any power to them, and there's a visible delay between when they flip up and the ball gets going with barely any speed. With the bumpers helping out it's not as obvious, but in the bonus rooms it's a glaring fault that makes getting the ball up past the bottom third of the board feel like dumb luck simply because unless it hits the top of one of the lower bumpers it's not going to get any higher.

simply put, what you have here is a foundation, and while I've seen you saying Flash couldn't handle much more, I've been having terrible lagging issues due to some Firefox bug or other that's been going on and it's about the first thing that's run decently for me on this site in a week. I don't know how you're handling your collision logic, but there shouldn't be enough here to slow things down by even a remote stretch, even for Flash. :/

And, on a more minor offense, while I had no trouble finding the music and ball options, the fact I couldn't hear the chosen audio until I started the board authentically irked me. Your menu is bizarrely silent, and no harm could come from it playing a little something something.

The physics are decent save the flipper collision, and this doesn't feel like a lost cause, just very aimless. Give the board more, or make the space it consumes less, maybe add some rollovers or an orbit shot, something. If you're already having issues keeping the game running smoothly a ramp or two is probably out of the question as then you have to handle layering, but I find it hard to believe more couldn't get into this. :/

Tetraform Tetraform

Long-Lasting...

The game seems a bit long for something with half the medals revolving around beating the thing and no save feature. While the gameplay isn't bad, most of the enemies don't seem to do that much so the variety seems almost purely cosmetic, and I found myself frequently annoyed by having one enemy left on screen, forcing myself to give up a spike for it or some such thing, and then having another enemy or two pop up immediately after. It's not like i wasn't waiting for that to happen, either. Why can't the enemies spawn steadily over the course of a wave? Would help this thing's pace a lot.

As is, dull at the beginning, only moderately better at the end. That medal for full spikes seems a bit outlandish considering most of mine were lost by the bosses ramming into them. A couple more layers of strategy and a better pace could have helped this a lot. It's not bad, but it's not particularly good, either.

Toss the Turtle Toss the Turtle

Still a Bit Too Much Luck Involved

This is one of the best games of it's kind, but would be all the better if your ability to manipulate the turtle as much as you can made a bloody lick of difference.

A genre mainstay that you've neglected is some manner of radar or warning indicator of the assorted hazards and aids coming up, a serious problem with the latest patch's assortment of floating spikes and increased number of aerial adversities, never mind the ludicrous speeds things move at that render most obstacles a single-frame existence that makes them more decorative than a way to test the player's skill.

And, again, this is a shame, as you've done a lot to try and make skill a factor here more than just straight luck, and I commend that in any cannon game. The assortment of upgrades, variety of things to ram into, and assorted achievements and medals all do a lot to make up for that shortcoming, but I do wish they didn't have to.

Xalaxer Xalaxer

Could Be Better

It's just boring. There's no onscreen indicator of your health or whatever it is that finally dictates your health, and enemies just swerve into walls to die by your hand.

Some onscreen health or indicator of progress would be amazing, as would, possibly, the right ship being controlled via arrow keys? The mouse was tolerable but required far more focus, causing enemies to be a bit more successful on the left side, and once the screen splitter vanished, a ncie touch admittedly, the mouse became a chore in trying to keep the pointer over the game, something that is a curse of Flash and never something I've much liked in the games made with said.

There's potential here, but as is it seems more like a tease of something better you're working on than an all-out effort.

Snowballoid Snowballoid

Still needs work.

The game looks nice for the most part, but could stand to play a lot better. the only visual complaint is that the ball is white on a very light blue background, which makes it harder to see than it should be. And I'm not sure if this is a complaint or not, but do the presents explode for any particular reason?

Perhaps it's to explain the ball's sporadic bouncing as, indeed, this is the killing factor on what could otherwise be a fairly enjoyable game - the ball bounces randomly, often hitting the left or right edge of the room and doing a complete 180 from its previous heading. The typical strategy and precise control and timing of your typical Arkanoid clone is replaced with just trying to hit a ball that seems only remotely under your control, and never in the expected ways. when I bounce the ball off the far right edge of the round paddle, it should not continue to head left without seeming so much as hindered. when it hits a wall, it should bounce off the wall at roughly the same angle it hit it, and likewise with the bricks/presents/explosive boxes.

And while collision hurts a lot, a less important but still annoying trait is the power-ups. while something like glue replacing expanded paddle is acceptable, the power-ups completely expiring so quickly they rarely get to be used is a bit harsh. I got glue at least five times before I realized that's what it was, as by the time the ball reached my paddle it had expired without ever being used. I thought it was just a free hundred points, or, since it did so one time, something that canceled other power-ups.

The basics are all here for this to be a solid Arkanoid clone, but considering the Christmas theme I don't understand why this seems to be so rushed out the door. It has a decent graphical presentation and the initial impression is good, but once the ball starts rolling things go downhill far too fast. Give it a little more care and try again.

Warlockus responds:

As developers of this simply and alittle unsightly game we want to thank you greatly for such Constructive criticism! We love it!

p.s. Dont beat us to hard, please - this is our first game 8)

Pokemon Matching Pokemon Matching

Could be better

The game itself works well and is made pretty decently. However, your instructions were really vague, and in the game even less present. Leaving the player to figure out your rules beyond that you need to match two of a kind makes for initial confusion that is best left elsewhere. you need to state that matches can only be made between to icons with an open path, and that that path can only have two corners. And, as a little aid, why not show the path the game is determining when a match is hovered over, rather than just when the match is made? It would be a visual reinforcement of the game's rules - a game that, I repeat, works fine and good. You just need to make what to do a bit mroe apparent. : )

X-MAS HERO X-MAS HERO

It's not ready yet.

This has potential, but it's just not ready. the collision's really sloppy, first and foremost, especially when attacking, which resulted in my guy tweaking out and falling into a hole every time i tried to clear a gap and attack a bird at once because he'd swing while landing and it would push him back to the edge of the wall. it's the only major complaint I have, but it's major for a reason. You need to tighten things up a bit.

A more minor thing, but why is it that only the ranged attack has a sound effect while the rest of the game is bizarrely silent?

Give it a bit more work and it could be a lot better, but, as I said, right now it's not quite there.

Hunted Forever Hunted Forever

Interesting.

It was fairly enjoyable until a certain point in the third stage. As the game went, it slowly started dropping frames, until finally at some point I had to quit because the framerate had slowed to such a crawl that it became difficult to even control my guy, a considerably serious issue for a platformer. My best guess says you've a memory leak somewhere, but since it's Flash and my knowledge is kinda weak in Ationscript and its workings, that may not be the msot helpful. :( you sure the missles and such go away once they've gone off screen and such?

Experimental: Flash DDR Experimental: Flash DDR

A decent foundation.

This would, first of all, actually been easier without music, as trying to match the song would typically result in lots of messing up. tuning it out somehow I did considerably better. By the looks of things, you just generated steps on a set timer, so I'll forgive that. What's important here is if it WORKS, and if so, how well.

All in all, it's a good start. The combination of teh arrow speed and instinctively trying to match the tune/rhythm of the song made it hard to judge, but i could only find three hit rankings, Bad, Good, and Great. A perfect at least, and maybe even marvelous, would be a nice touch, but DDR players won't think Great is so Great despite being the best I saw. Arrows seem easy to hit, but half your score range seems to be in the Bad category, with the other half split between good and great, but again, I kept trying to match the song... Also, it registers any misses far too late. A couple frames past the arrow passing the hit zone would suffice better than waiting for it to pass off the top of the screen.

Still, a solid foundation to build upon. With a little effort I can see this being pretty good. Keep at it. :)

AsianSpark responds:

Can you help me at syncing the song? I cant sync it properly but i can do it 50%.. Thanks for your good review. :)